Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I register in the classroom?

Walk-in registration is on a space-available basis. You can only pay for a class at the door with check, money order made payable to Columbia College, or credit card. NOTE: No unregistered people are allowed in the class (parents, children, infants, guests).

Can I stay in the class with my child?

No. Unless the class is specifically set up as a parent/child class, or parent participation is encouraged, we ask that you not stay in the class with your child. If your child is not able to stay by themselves in a classroom setting, please wait until they are older.


What do the fees pay for?

Community Education classes/trips do not receive tax support. Your enrollment fees pay all costs of the program.


Do I have to pay for parking?
As authorized by California Education Code, Section 76360(a), a parking permit is required by anyone parking on campus. Semester and summer session permits are available for purchase at the college Business Office. Daily and visitor permits are available at the Information Booth located on the college access road (Columbia College Drive).  Short-term/guest parking is available.  See the Information Booth for more information.


What other fees will I pay?

In some cases an additional materials fee may be charged at time of registration. For many classes the material fees are payable to the instructor at the first day.


Why are offerings cancelled?

Community Education offerings do not receive funding from the state, so there is a minimum number of students who must be enrolled in order for an offering to be held. The decision whether or not to cancel is typically made 2-3 days before the start date and is based on the number of fully paid fees on that date. Please register early!


Supply Lists

Some of our offerings require a supply list and are typically sent via email. If you don’t receive one, call our office at 588-5198 a few days before the start date. DO NOT purchase supplies until you have checked with our office at 588-5198 to confirm the class will be held.

Can my child take an adult class?

Children ages 14-17 may register for an adult class only when a parent/adult registers with them.

Can I get Financial Aid?

Because we do not receive state funding to help support our program, our classes are not eligible for financial aid.


Special Accommodations

Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities must be made at the time of registration and at least 10 days before the event. Every effort within our ability and legal responsibility will be made to meet your request. If you require an elevator for a second-level classroom, please let our office know when you register for your class.


Can I Get a Refund?

Refund for Classes

If you need to cancel a class, please contact our office at least 7 days before the start of class.  You will be charged a $10 cancellation fee per person, per class, except in cases where our office is responsible for the changes.  If you need to cancel 7 days or less before the start date, you may write a letter of request to our office, and these requests will be reviewed for a potential full or partial refund, based on your particular circumstance.  Once a class begins, we will not refund any portion of the course fee. If you paid by cash, the refund will be by check and will arrive by mail. If you paid by credit card, the refund will be processed as a credit back to the same card that was used. Refunds take approximately 4-6 weeks to process. Community Education reserves the right to cancel any classes, for any reason.  Full refunds are automatically granted if a class is cancelled by our office.


Refunds for Bus Trips (One Day Excursions)
If you need to cancel your bus trip, we need to have at least 30 days’ notice before the departure date to receive a refund.  You will be charged a $20 cancellation fee per person, per trip, except in cases where our office is responsible for the changes.  If you cancel the trip after the 30 day deadline, refunds will not be given unless there is a replacement for you on the trip. Community Education reserves the right to cancel any bus trip, for any reason.  Full refunds are automatically granted if a bus trip is cancelled by our office.


Cancelled Offerings
A full (100%) refund will be given for an offering or trip that the college cancels. Refunds take a few weeks to process. If you pay by credit card, your account will be credited; if you pay by check or cash, you will receive a check in the mail.


Refunds for On-line Registration
If you registered over the internet you MUST call our office to receive a refund. A refund will NOT be processed if you try to drop online.